When is it time to downsize? You have lived in your home for many years, raised your children there. It holds many memories for you. Now you are thinking about downsizing to a smaller home, a condo or, perhaps, a senior community.Read More
by Alyson Theran, Co-Founder of Movers & Stagers
Slips and falls are the most common causes of accidents in the home. They can lead to sprains, broken bones and increase the risk of early death.
Fortunately with careful planning, falls can be prevented in the home. Here are some of the preventative measures you or your loved ones can take to minimize the risk of falls:
- Lighting - Make sure that all rooms are well lit.
- Electricity - Electrical outlets should have a limited number of connections.
Extension cords should not be overloaded with too many lamps, appliances
or heaters. Electrical cords should be placed behind or
under furniture and not left where one can easily trip
over a cord.
- Rugs and Carpeting - Do not place rugs over carpeting. Use non-skid padding under all rugs in the living area. A low pile carpet is easier for those who use a walker. Check for worn stair treads and loose areas of carpet, as these are areas where people can trip, or catch a foot and fall.
- Handrails - Install handrails on both sides of the stairs; this measure is especially important for stairs that lead to a basement.
- Grab Bars - Install grab bars in tubs and showers to prevent slips and falls on wet surfaces. Grab bars can be added to the toilet area as well. Use only non-skid bath rugs.
- Kitchen - Arrange kitchen work areas so they are low enough to reach. Lower shelves should be installed to make items easily accessible.
- Use an alert device, especially if you live alone.
- Furniture - Arrange furniture in a manner that creates clear and safe paths throughout the home.
Remember a house can be made safer with careful planning.
About Movers & Stagers:
We help people who are downsizing from their home to a smaller residence handle the many issues involved with moving. These typically include the following:
- Providing the homeowner with the information necessary to select their best housing option
- Stage the house for sale to create a great first impression for potential buyers in order to get top dollar for your home.
- Planning and managing all the aspects of the moving process.
For more information on Movers & Stagers, click here.
Alyson Theran, GRI, is a Seniors Real Estate Specialist (SRES) and licensed Realtor in Newton, Massachusetts. Alyson has guided seniors and their families through the difficult process of relocating, refinancing and selling the family home. Alyson's special training and years of experience have prepared her to offer appropriate options in making life-changing decisions.